Friday, March 03, 2006

Tenth Book: The Illuminator

Wow, I've gotten a bit behind on these. This one is by Brenda Rickman Vantrease. I'd been intrigued by it for awhile, but the deal was clinched when I realized Julian of Norwich was a character in the book!

It was basically good, with interesting characters and a plot that really surprised me... I didn't guess where it was going at all. My favorites, I think, were the more minor characters Half-Tom and Magda. But really, most of the characters were engaging, except for some of the more cardboard villains, and at least one cardboard good person, too, in my opinion. I sort of think you should read it, Katie, because the main female character is named Kathryn! I think, too, that it might be the kind of story you would enjoy. On the less positive side, there was some clumsy writing. I would have liked to see more of Julian of Norwich, too, but it's hard to write about actually historical folks and make it work, I think. Not that it didn't work, I just have such a high opinion of Julian that it would be hard to write about her in a way that I thought was doing her justice.

Ok, I think that's all about this for now. Definitely worth reading, if sometimes flawed. :)

No comments: