Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Heat has Broken!

Huh, what happened to me getting to choose the font I want? Oh well.


Yes, the heat has broken! I heard it was supposed to today, but I was hesitant to believe. But my tepid faith was nonetheless rewarded at lunch time by this amazing, cool breeze blowing all down the street. I was so happy. I was grinning all the way to the Bellevue. I passed all these sad-faced people and I wanted to tell them, hey people, it's cooler now! I saw a big black woman smiling like me, and you could tell she knew. I passed the Academy of Music, and there was some kind of television interview being taped for outside. And just as I was trying to figure out which way to get by without getting in the way of anything, this little crowd of people started applauding for the kid who was doing the TV interview. It was exciting. The Academy of Music is starting Evita, and they were playing "Star Quality" into the street. I had this whole fantasy about what if they wanted people to sing it on TV and I was very excited, and then I realized that I don't know the song very well. This minor problem was dispelled in my imagination by the time I got into the Bellevue.

The security guy who likes how I dress ducked away from his little counter thing to say "Hey, Lady." I saw him do it real fast so he wouldn't miss me. And I didn't say good morning at 2 in the afternoon the way I did last time he said hi to me. I behaved quite normally, I think, and we shook hands and talked about the weather. He said I looked cool, anyway. It's not that he's especially handsome or young, but the first time he complimented me was right when I was feeling insecure about my clothes, and he does wear a little white flower in his buttonhole as part of his uniform, which I think is enough to impress a girl these days. So I went down the escalator (is that spelled right?) practically dancing with Star Quality all over me.

It didn't stay quite that nice, since I was sitting next to some people whose conversation made me think of that strange elusive club of social understanding that I am never quite in. And while the food I had (U Dong, which is some kind of lovely Japanese noodle soup), was really good, it was too hot to finish it all before I had to leave. By that time I was feeling less cute and aware of my belly, which is generally not a good thing.

BUT-- for one brief shining moment, it was COOL in Philadelphia, and I was the hottest thing in sight. ;)


Since I finished reading Millions today, I feel compelled to thank the patron saint of coldness, but sadly I do not know who that is.

Thanks anyway! :) Please please keep it up.

2 comments:

Rachel (a-big-apple) said...

Agricola of Avignon, Clare of Assisi, and Medard of Noyon. http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/pst00761.htm

Anonymous said...

*laughs* Rachel, why do you know that? And yay for not so hot.