Monday, February 06, 2006

Sixth Book: The Memory of Running

This one, by Ron McLarty, was lent to Rachel and me by Rachel's parents, both of whom read and loved it. I wondered if it would be good... it was, and engrossing enough that I read it all day, pretty much straight through. It reminded me of She's Come Undone and sometimes John Irving. I was fascinated by the depictions of family, insanity, honesty, and love. I was particularly engaged with Bethany, and the effect she had on her family. It made me think a lot about mental illness--specifically psychosis and schizophrenia-- as more than a defacto condition for certain people, which is the only way I have experienced it in my life. I did wonder why Smithy kept getting beaten up, though.

And I think I'm too tired and sick to say much more about this, except that it's a great read and I recommend it.


No comments: